Alright, so wtf am I doing playing a 10 year old game? Sometimes I wonder this myself, as I look at my screen with 256 colors and the most amazing graphics that the 20th century had to offer.
I played Diablo II the first time my freshman year of college. I borrowed the game from a friend, and it didn't take me long until I said "wait, is this all the game is?" And this is the logical thought process of a normal human being. That being said, I am no normal human being.
So I started playing it again later in my college career. When I was still living at home, we setup a LAN and played multiplayer Diablo II. My two brothers and I played it multiplayer for a few weeks. And I enjoyed it, but we never really got too far into it before we thought the same thing - is that all there is?
Later out of school, my friend Matt and I decided to revisit it. This would be the furthest I had ever gotten into the game, going all the way to the end of the original game and killing Diablo with Matt. But then he moved out and I lost interest.
Now, it's back. I've played each class at least once to near the end of Act I (there are five acts for all you who have never played it) except for paladin. And this time, I found a class that I liked. I played the game through and finally beat the expansion as well. The interesting thing about Diablo is that once you best the game, you can play it through again on Nightmare mode with the same character, and then once you beat that, you play a third time on Hell mode.
So why am I playing Act V on Nightmare mode anxiously awaiting playing Hell mode Act I content that I am sick of? Probably because of World of Warcraft. Itemization in Diablo is just like it was in WoW, and I miss doing all of the math. Should I take the shield with the higher defense or the higher resistances? Should I use the attack rating ring or the life steal ring? My brain likes making these decisions. So even if Diablo II is a clickfest has terrible graphics and has virtually no storyline, I am playing it for gear upgrades. Pathetic? Yes. But I'm having fun and that's all that matters.
One more note as to why I like it - the action is mindless. And sometimes doing something mindless like clicking on that monster until it croaks and then finding another one entertains the 5 year old in me.
I hope Diablo III is more of the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
well, having never played the Diablo series...I decided to purchase the Diablo Battle Chest and give this whole thing a shot. It includes Diablo I&II, The expansion, and a strategy guide...also a 14 day trial to a game called World of Warcraft...sounds interesting. I have had a rather busy week and haven't put enough time into this game to really make a call on it... but it seems enjoyable
Just don't get hooked. I had a friend who played Diablo and he said it was just as addictive as WoW.
I can see the multiplayer aspect being as addictive as WoW, but I'm only playing single player, not multiplayer. Multiplayer would be like a primitive version of WoW. I'll bet it would be pretty fun with a group of friends.
Post a Comment