Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ethix Systems: Part I

Well, since I mentioned in the last post that I would probably post about our business, I think I'll do just that.

Nick (many of you know him as Rubix), my other friend Matt, and I went to Saint Vincent College not 2 years ago. In 2005, Nick had a brainstorm that we could start our own tech business. At the time it was an idea. We didn't know anything about business. But we knew that we were smart, and we could solve all sorts of problems. We figured, as long as you can provide a good service, you should be able to make it in the business world, right?

We formed our company, Ethix Systems LLC, in February 2006 formally. In May, we graduated from SVC, and we went immediately to work.

As I posted before, it's very interesting for people who haven't thought about it, where work comes from. If you ask a high school graduate, they assume that they'll be getting a job. Well how does one find a job? He asks companies if his services are needed. And where does this company get its money to pay you? It gets paid for a product. Who pays them? Their customers.

And then comes the clincher. Where do the customers come from? It's like a company that wants a website. They assume that just because they have a website, people will visit it. "If I make it, they will come." It doesn't work like that, and it doesn't work like that in business either. So we had to market ourselves. We tried cold calling. That sucked balls and didn't work. We got one job from cold calling. Fortunately for us, we ended up meeting a woman who invited me to a networking group. For those of you who know not what a networking group is, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. Because that's when our business finally started to make some money...

No comments: