Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back in the US

Hello everyone. I enjoyed my trip, but I have to say, it was good to get back and eat fried food and hamburgers again.

I haven't been actively posting since my life has been designated to working and very little leisure. However, I have to say that during my trip, I got a chance to read a lot.

I read a lot of Issac Asimov. He's a very popular science fiction author who writes some very interesting stories. The best way to describe his stories in my opinion are to say that they are like mysteries. The characters in his story are trying find the solution to a problem, whether it's a murder or the inevitable takeover of a planet. But they do so in a very nonviolent and ingenious way everytime. He can take a situation and turn it on its head very easily. If you're into sci-fi, I'd definitely recommend reading his Foundation series at least for a start. If you like those, read his other works too...they are also a great read.

Another book that I'm rereading now (with a lot of my spare time) is "The Agony and the Ecstasy." This is a historical fiction story about Michelangelo's life (the painter and sculptor, not the turtle.) Seeing the Sistine Chapel in person made me want to reread this. It's a very engaging story that puts you right in Florence and Rome in the time of Michelangelo very realistically. It's a classic for a reason. It is a long book, but very engaging. And it gives a lot more depth to his life and his works as a result.

And finally, if you're looking for pure entertainment, try reading Tricky Business by Dave Barry. Dave Barry is well known for his weekly newspaper humor column, but he also has written a few novels. It is an engaging story with humor that will sometimes leave you laughing out loud (literally). Fans of goofy movies involving Ben Stiller and Will Farrell would like this kind of movie, I am certain. That is, if you like to read anyway.

I haven't been playing a lot of games other than Team Fortress II. If you haven't played it since the new map Gold Rush, it's a lot of fun. Plus, trying to get the Medic achievements is a blast.

Hopefully I'll get more interesting as time goes on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! The thing I missed most when I left the country (other than friends and family of course) was free refills on drinks. It's the little things I suppose...

raz said...

Glad to hear you're back, and the rest o' the trip was good. You should post some more of the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Dan...where you be bro? Hopefully you're still alive :-P