Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Monsters (PS3)

Well, I've been back for a few weeks now, so I'm finally caught up on work, and I've gotten some time to play some more video games. So I might be posting a little more now.

I started playing Monsters, a downloadable game for the PS3. It's made by PixelJunk and costs $8. Definitely worth every penny.

Have you ever played Warcraft III: Frozen Throne and found the secret level? It's just like this game. Basically, you are a little turtle running around building towers. You start out being able to build arrow towers, cannon towers, and anti-air towers. The enemies start walking towards your base where your 20 babies are sitting undefended (oh no!), and your towers fire upon them, hopefully killing them. Those enemies drop eggs and coins. Coins are used to buy more towers, and eggs are used to research new towers or upgrade your towers. You can also upgrade your towers by "dancing" on top of them.

It's an old concept (I know there are other games like it, but I've never played them) with a newer twist. There are online scores so you can see your ranking on certain levels as well as the whole area. There are unlockable items as well.

They made the game cutsie for casual people, but it's intense enough for serious players too. Try saving all 20 of your babies on each level - it isn't easy. It's also a lot of fun to see how high of a score you can get. The highest we got was into the 300's. We were proud.

You can play the game single player or co-op. Co-op is a lot of fun if you're with someone who can strategize with you well.

We just started playing the expansion (another $6), and it's whole other island of levels. Can't wait to see how it turns out. If you have a PS3 and like RTS games, this should be an awesome one.

Oh, and can anyone else not wait to see if Spore is going to be either a flop or the game of the year? I don't think there's an in-between.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all the buzz around it Spore is going to sell plenty whether it's a flop or not. I sure hope it isn't though. As far as Monsters goes it gets solid reviews everywhere. I'll be picking it up with a PS3 once they start shipping with the DualShock controller.

bootstrap said...

I am looking to buy a PS3 this month, with the Metal Gear Solid 4 / Dualshock package. I cant wait to try out Monsters.

Anonymous said...

I just saw Walmart has a special where you get a $100 gift card with the purchase of any blu-ray player. The PS3 is included in the deal. I might wander over and check it out. Even though it won't come with dual-shock 3 I may just cover it with the gift card and end up with both controllers. Also apparently Best Buy is matching the deal too. Of course if you have your heart set on the sexy gun metal grey MGS4 set up then that just plain won't work. I think the offer expires today or tomorrow.

bootstrap said...

I wasnt gonna go all out and get the gun metal grey one. Although it looks incredibly cool, I think its only a 40gb one, the black MGS4 combo is 80gb

Anonymous said...

Well I picked up a PS3 and the gift card. I wish they still came with an hdmi cable though.

bootstrap said...

HDMI cables are annoyingly expensive. i bought a new tv a couple months ago and had to buy 3 of them....$260

Anonymous said...

Ouch. you should check out www.monoprice.com. I got a 6ft'er for about $12. The only thing is waiting for shipping. I think I might stop down at best buy and just pick one up, then return it when they get here.