Sunday, July 13, 2008

Team Fortress II: Meet the Scout

In an effort to rejuvenate my blog posts, I thought I would post in here about the game that I'm easily playing the most these days.

Team Fortress II is a very fast paced game FPS with a twist. There are 9 classes to choose from, each with benefits and downsides. I'm going to start with the most difficult to play (in my opinion) and give some tips.

The Scout.

Read more: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Scout

The site probably says a lot of stuff that I'm going to say, but...I'll say it anyway.

The scout is a lightweight, fast-moving killer when used properly. One on one against a heavy, pyro, soldier, or most of the other common classes, you don't stand too much of a chance. Engineer turrets? You can just about forget it.

But there are some things that scouts are great at - speed and maneuverability. Your double jumps allows you to get some places that only soldiers and demos can get to. On top of buildings and ledges are great places to shoot from unnoticed.

But the very best thing that a scout can do is run behind enemy lines and wreck havoc. With an open battlefield, plenty of things to hide behind, and lots of health packs, a scout can suppress an enemy charge very well.

Scouts are excellent in melee since their bats hit quickly, and you can finish off a sniper or medic this way often before they even realize you are there. Hiding behind corners, killing one or two people, and moving on. That's what makes a great scout. You can't hold a single position for very long. If you get caught on fire, you will probably die. A shotgun blast to the face may do it too. You have to move, fire, and get out.

So in my opinion, the best scouts are the ones that sneak along behind the enemy and kill the little guys. If you can down a sniper or a medic, often that will change a game. But you have to be very careful not to stare down a heavy. Fire and run, and get to the healthpacks first, and you'll be fine.

Not the best class to start playing TF2 with. Position is everything, and you need to know your maps very well.

Next time: The Soldier.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with your analysis of scouts. They are meant to cause havoc. The map that scouts absolutley shine on is Badlands.

Anonymous said...

Crazy day for Rock band. I find The Who's greatest hits for download and Rock Band 2 tracklist http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/15/rock-band-2-to-include-exclusive-guns-n-roses-track

raz said...

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Temp_Fortress_2/ hilarious video

bootstrap said...

you cant be THAT busy Dan. We need to know what is going on in your life

Anonymous said...

auxiliary shobhit insights affixed vkosnd aluva darlington comprising chilled hydrological intersoft
lolikneri havaqatsu