Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Silence

My car's battery was dying, so I took it to the local Advance Auto Parts and had it checked. Once they determined that the battery needed to be replaced, and went ahead and replaced it, I started driving away to an unfamiliar sound. The sound of silence. (Thank you Paul and Arlo.)

My car stereo must have blown a fuse when they did the test. I would need to get it fixed. Wow was it quiet. I started singing songs in my head, because I couldn't stand the quiet. The only time that it's ever quiet for me is when I'm ready to go to sleep. When I'm sitting at my computer, I'm listening to music. In my car? Listening to music. All of a sudden, the silent drive of 15 minutes seems to take much longer. Music always seems to make the time fly by. I would need to get that stereo fixed stat.

The next day, I turned on my car, and again no sound. Same thing the day after, and the day after. Some of these were pretty long drives too. 20 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour sometimes. One particular day, I was driving back from a meeting, and I started thinking about an idea that I had. 30 minutes later, I pulled into my driveway, and I realized that I just did what I haven't done in a long time. I thought through a brainstorm, because it was so quiet. I could concentrate. Instead of thinking about who should win the Steeler game, or what insurance company would save me 15% if I spent 15 minutes at their website, I was thinking about what I should be doing, who I needed to call, and some ideas for our business. Another day, I was pondering the meaning of life (I didn't find an answer, sorry to disappoint. Maybe by next blog entry.)

So it came to the weekend, and I decided that I wouldn't get my radio fixed. Not quite yet. I'm content with the silence in my car. I've started even working on my computer in silence as well. I think better when it's quiet, and so now I think more. Which is a good thing. And you know what I think? I think more people should try to spend less time listening to something, and spend more time just listening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My think tank (also known as my bathroom) has served me well for many years. Shower, getting ready in the morning, ....other stuff....I spend all of that time in silence and it's quite nice. My ears are forced to listen to many many many musical instances and a little break from those is a blessing. It really is a great time to think. You should all try turning off your radios and see what happens. I think you might be suprised.

Anonymous said...

They don't say "Silence is Golden" for no good reason :) It can be quite meditative

Anonymous said...

Most car radios have security device in them to try and prevent theft. If you disconnect the batter it'll often trigger the thing, and the radio won't work. Just a thought. Other than that. Yeah silence is golden.

Anonymous said...

lol, I forgot about that security feature. Yeah, Trystery you probably have to enter your stereo code for it to work properly. It may be in your driver's manual.

Trystery said...

Interesting...I think I may have an issue then, since it didn't come with the vehicle, and I have no idea where the manual is. I'll have to look around for it perhaps. I assumed that it just blew a fuse or something.