Thursday, March 13, 2008

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - First Impressions

Well, I only got to play this game for about an hour and a half. We rented it, because Nick/Rubix's fiance works at Family Video, and we get game rentals at half price. However, a day into the rental we were told that since it's a "New Release" we can't rent it at half price for now. So....whatever.

I wanted to post since it looks like there is interest in the game from the previous few comments.

When I saw that the game was coming out for the Wii, I was pretty psyched. I played the game a good bit on the Gamecube. I didn't get exceptionally good at the game, but I learned enough about the controls and enjoyed it.

So I popped in the game and just started playing. Now mind you, after playing Super Mario Galaxy, I had some pretty high expectations. I expected for the game to use the Wii's motion sensors as the primary attacks, or at least some sort of attack. Unfortunately, this was not the case. My character stood still as I waved my little controller around in the air. The controls ended up being almost exactly like the Gamecube controls. In some ways, this is good. I didn't have to relearn any moves. However, it felt very redundant. I played single player mode through a quick game, and quickly turned the game off. The game was a repeat in my mind. New characters, new graphics, new environments. Same moves, same mentality, same basic principle.

I admit at that point I thought that the game was a dud. I was looking forward to a completely different game. One that used the Wii's unique motion sensor to make me feel like I was swordfighting or something. Make a Power punch a forward thrust or something. In this way I was sadly disappointed.

Later on, I tried playing the Co-op mode with Nick. It was very enjoyable. It forces you to play different characters, something none of the other games did. I enjoyed the different aspects of the levels as well. Some were a normal arena match, some were side-scrolling, and some were a combination of both. We only got 6% through, but I liked the idea of having a single player version of the game. It was the most enjoyable part for me.

I was never a huge Smash Bros multiplayer fan. Usually I was either playing with someone who knew the game inside and out and destroyed me, or someone who didn't know how to play who I toasted every time. I expect that since the game is meant to be mulitplayer, that would probably be the most enjoyable part. Single player might be fun to run through the adventure mode once or twice, but then I'd probably be tired of it.

I will have to try it again sometime, perhaps in a multiplayer setting to see what happens. I don't think that I gave it nearly enough time for it to impress me. But my first impressions were "same old, same old."

Love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

raz said...

It definitely looks like all the other Smash Brothers, and as far as controls are concerned you can plug in a GameCube controller and use it instead of the wiimote. So yeah controls are pretty much the same, but I never really spent much time on any of the previous versions. Plus it's always a good multi-player game. For better or worse I'm still going to end up with a copy of this game. Hopefully for the better.

Anonymous said...

I've been a huge Super Smash fan since it's release on the Nintendo 64. My friend and I would regularly "train" each day going up against 3 level 9 Donkey Kongs all on one team. We pretty much mastered the game.

I find that Brawl is a bit different in single player/co-op play style. It's a bit more involved and it's fun to be able to play multiple characters and watch the cinematic cut scenes. I also am looking forward to trying out the online multiplayer feature. James/Klendark and I tried multiplayer yesterday and it was a blast. It reminded me of the good ol' days.

As far as skill against one player or the other. This is where people get pissed and decide not to play anymore. I usually pick a character that is either really slow or one that I'm weak with to go up against someone who is somewhat new to the game. Also, I try to encourage that new player to pick different people. Each character has a certain style and the difference in abilities is pretty substantial. Each character is different and depending on your play style, it might take you a few run through of some characters to figure out who fits you best.

Right now, I'm Pit, but I haven't tried many others. I actually started as Fox on N64 and I moved to Captain Falcon after I unlocked him. On the gamecube version I stuck to Link or Fox with the occasional Donkey Kong to piss people off by picking up the other player and running off the map. Now, we'll see where it takes me. Not sure if Pit is my main man or not.

bootstrap said...

AZI! Good to hear from you again man. Sorry to hear that your return trip to WOW didnt last. I often have thought about making a return just for arenas. They are alot of fun. As for Smash Brothers, it was never really my thing. I guess i never took the time to learn any of the strategy... just button mashing. I played with Tryst and Murien once, and got my but kicked.

Jim Riegel said...

I played a lot of Smash Bros on the Gamecube. Still pull it out and play it periodically. I'm not hugely awesome at the game, but I'm definitely better than my kids. Still, it's easy enough to make it fun by doing as Azi suggested - play characters you aren't as good with. Or set match options to handicap yourself pretty nastily.

I know a lot of people have weird feelings about using handicaps or whatnot, but after playing Go for a few years the idea of setting conditions so the chances of winning are as equal for both people as they can be is something I'm a -huge- fan of. Makes for a much more interesting game than 'I always get smoked.' or 'I always stomp the shit out of them.' Hopefully the Wii version will have good customization for that (and hopefully I'll get a Wii some time this year :P )