Thursday, September 6, 2007

Tough Night in Gruul's

OK, everyone who was at Gruul's last night knows that we struggled heavily. Things just felt depressing. I don't think everyone was truly prepared. Yes we had some newer folks, but you'll have that. As we get more people involved in Karazhan and filling spots, you need some newer blood.

New people aside, we had the group to kill him. There are a few mechanics healing and tanking-wise that I'll be helping to work on. DPS on our 2nd attempt was spot on. But for the 3rd and 4th attempts, it felt like a lot of people just weren't really there.

There were a few things beyond our control last night that didn't help things. Around 5-6 people disconnected or had terrible lag during multiple attempts. When you're just barely killing a boss, you can't have that. It's beyond our control though, so it isn't worth worrying about.

But there were a few things going on that needs addressed. I know that if you're reading this, for the most part you all know what needs to go on before a raid. Namely, preparing. If you're going to be late, please park your character. Please make sure that you've repaired and that you have reagents, flasks, potions, food for buffs, and whatever else you need. If everyone had done this, we would have gotten far more than 4 attempts on Gruul.

I'll be mentioning this to several people who didn't really follow these guidelines. It's common courtesy to be prepared. If you're holding 24 other people up, you may not have a spot for very long.

Also, ventrilo etiquette was discussed. I personally have no problems with keeping ventrilo lighthearted and fun. But with 25 people trying to intensely concentrate, chatter needs to be minimized during combat. Azi, I think that you know that your yelling was inapproporate, but you apologized. Apology accepted. You were frustrated, and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing in your shoes.

I think we all need rejuvenated for that fight. Lets all try to focus on bringing our A game next week. Instead of being ho-hum about Gruul, if we start talking about it ahead of time and get people psyched up about it, we should have the right attitudes necessary to down him.

We're getting better every week. More consistency from our DPS has been key. Everyone wants to get into SSC and Magtheridon's Lair. We'll get there soon. But we've got to focus and do the little things first.

In conclusion, lets be more ready to take the leap. For those of you who have newer people in your class, talk to them. Help them to understand why what I've mentioned above is so essential. We really need to help people make the leap from casual to serious with regards to being on time and being prepared. If we can do that, Gruul will die everytime we go in there, and we can finally move on to bigger and better things.

3 comments:

Jim Riegel said...

Beat you to much of that post on our forums. I think ultimately, people need to decide if they want to be a raider or not. If not, that's fine. If so, they need to be committed, prepared and understand what that means.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm pumped about our next attempt. I'll be staying fury and really going at it as a raider. I may respec for our arena nights but for the most part I'll be dominating with two weapons. My DPS is a lot higher thanks to my new gear and I'm excited to get back in there and try again.

Jim Riegel said...

Yeah, I'm hoping/expecting folks will come prepared and ready to kick some ass on Wednesday. My plan is to start in on Maulgar as close to 6 server as we can, even if we're short a few. He's farm content now and it shouldn't be problem if we have at least 20, with sufficient heal and tank support.

I'm really looking forward to heading into SSC once we get Gruul down regularly. For Mag's, we're going to need Carbi, Chloes and Patricles all online with solid connections - there's not much way around that - so if we can do a quick one shot/one shot on Maulgar and Gruul but don't have the 'lock support, we may end up heading straight for there.