I was talking to Dyrella the other day, who is seriously looking at her talents and is trying to determine what would be the best ones to get. She wants to get certain things like imp thorns and imp faerie fire, but doesn't want to nerf her damage as well. I told her that it will take some experimentation to figure out what points she really needs, but for the most part I explained that she needed to figure out what her weaknesses are.
Not all people have the same problem. Some people don't have enough DPS. Some run out of mana too quickly. This is where talents, gear, and playstyle need to mesh. The perfect spec for one person may not be the best one for another. The only true way to determine what's right for you is to try things out. Use others and the forums as a rule of thumb and a starting place. Then find out where you need to go from there.
And always be looking for ways to improve. As you get more gear, your ideal spec may change. The two are interrelated. If you have a lot of +healing and not much +spirit, then put points that increase your bonus +healing. If it's the other way around, take points that give you more +healing based on your spirit.
At any rate, looking seriously at everything together, theorycraft can only do so much. You need to see it in action. Try it. You may use a lot of gold respeccing, but it's the only chance you'll get to see if it's truly effective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Totally agree. The same goes for gear too. My example for this is my gearing of Akime lately. Everything I'd read on forums/theorycrafting was that I needed to shoot for 12-15% on my hit. That'd be roughly 225-240 hit rating. So, I began plugging in gear and watching my meters.
When I started I had about 112. I worked up to 198. As I got closer to the 150 mark I really did see an improvement. That was hitting me close to 8-9%. But, it seemed to drastically flatline after about 160 hit rating. I really saw almost no improvement from then. Regardless, I just assumed I needed to break that 220 mark to see the next jump, figuring maybe it moved in large steps?
Last week I changed 2 items. I finally replaced my neckpiece choosing a 60atp upgrade over my previous 18 hit rating. I also got a pair of legs that gave me a huge stamina boost and another 40atp but I lost my Devestation set bonus of 35hit. After that I'm now back to 158 hit. I decided I'd give it a try, feeling the stamina and atp were pretty good upgrades for me.
To my surprise, my dps went up. A good deal. I went from about 540 dps in Gruuls to 610 this week. I was a bit shocked, but then I started thinking it over:
For a shaman, ATP might be underrated. Our 35pt talent gives all party members a 10% atp boost whenever we crit. Its 10% of your own atp. Plus, we're the ONLY dual wield class that has almost NO choice but to use a slow off hand. Slower weapons benefit more from ATP bonus. (I could math it out for you, but I'm lazy.) Also, Stormstrike (about 33% of my dps) does NOT share the typical dual wield 24% hit decrease, it has a 5% hit decrease as a special ability! Lastly, and I forget this ALL the time myself: Windfurry can proc off of parry, dodge, and block - and the 2 extra attacks (with extra ATP) will still hit and can still crit as well.
So, now I'm adjusting my gear to match my new theory: 150ish hit, 24% crit, and then give me that sweet sweet ATP! I can't really change my tree but I can change my gear! Thought for food.
~ Akime
Post a Comment