Sunday, July 8, 2007

Empowered Healing vs. Imp Divine Spirit

Well, my respec to 40/21/0 failed miserably. Not only did I still get pwnd by MS warriors in PVP, but my GHeals were about 800 smaller. So, I switched to a 21/40/0 build. Yes this means that all you DPS and healing classes who got at most 60 +damage and healing (with 600 spirit) from my buff are out of luck. Don't worry, this post concerns this decision.

I decided to forgo the Imp Divine Spirit in favor of an additional 8% healing effects added to GHeal and 4% added to Flash Heal. But then I got to thinking....which one actually gives me more +healing?

I sit raid buffed at approximately 1643 healing and 572 spirit. If I had gotten the 10% to spirit, it would have been 57 damage and healing. Since I went for the + 8% to healing on GHeal, it would be around 131 +healing. So this is a pretty sizable benefit. However, several things must be taken into consideration.

1. I currently get 16% of my GHeal increased. The 8% would be what I would lose. So if I'd had the extra 57 damage and healing, it would mean a grand total for all 4 points of 193 +healing on GHeal versus 263 +healing on GHeal. The difference is a little smaller.

2. Itemization of +healing and +spirit is different. If we take the socket gem conversion rate of 18 +healing being = to 8 +spirit, we're talking 2 +healing extra versus 1.44 +healing. More spirit at the same conversion rate means more bonus. However, as I get better gear in the future, will it have more +healing or +spirit?

3. This calculation is not counting Blessing of Kings. With BOK, I'd have an additional 57 spirit, and an additional 6 +healing. Imp Divine Spirit would add another +6 healing easily, whereas the extra from the other buff would have been marginal.

4. This bonus healing only affects GHeal, Flash Heal, and Binding Heal. What about POM? What about Renew?
These aren't receiving this bonus.

So, I still have to decide between these points. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm leaning toward Imp Divine Spirit, because I'd be one of 2 priests (Grumps) with it in a 25 man, so just in case he can't make it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really depends on whether you want to be more of a grouper or pvper. The imp divine spi really helps you AND the DPS'ers. the additional healing bonus only helps you heal better. Being a raiding shadow priest. I at first thought that Misery what a pretty shitty 5 talent points. 5% extra damage isn't that much, but it's 5% extra damage for any caster hitting that mob. That's friggin' huge. Granted for imp divinie spirit, DPS would see much smaller returns because nobody stacks spirit, but we love all the extra damage we can deal :-) Also if you were going to go that far into the holy tree and not get the 41 point talent I'm going to call you sorta dumb. Sure people call it a aggro fiend, but I think for a PvP spell it's kinda awesome, and I think it would be useful in 5 man dungeons, but possibly not so much in a raid where everyone is spread out a little more.

Jim Riegel said...

I know you don't group much with Prot paladins, but for us it's one of the single most useful buffs. Our itemization is -really- heavily skewed to be like a warrior, so we have low spell damage, low mana, low regen, etc. What that buff does for me is give me around 30 +dam/heal. The net effect is this: With unbuffed 214 spellpower, I -can- lose threat if I'm not really, really, really draining mana and busting ass. If I'm not taking a significant amount of damage (and therefore getting mana back) I can't sustain that output.

With the +30 from DivSpi, I'm at 244 and suddenly nothing rips aggro from me and there's no waiting required whatsoever for DPS to engage. At the end of a typical boss fight in Kara, I have generated about 50% more threat than the nearest raid member has put out.

From my biased viewpoint, imp:DS rocks.