Sunday, July 8, 2007

Shadow Priest and Mage vs. Holy Priest, who wins?

From the title, you're probably expecting an amazing PVP feat. It's only slightly true...there's a caveat. Gullkurack and I went into our first 2v2 for the night against a shadow priest mage.

The first thing they did was sheep me, of course, and beat on Gully. Well, I was dumb enough to think that I could wait out the Poly. So 8 seconds into it, I realize Gully's going down, and I trinket out. Then I'm feared for 8 seconds. Boom, Gully dies. I'm left in there against a mage and shadow priest. So I do what I'm good at, I kite. I kited them around a pillar, got off some lucky heals here and there, a lucky fear or two.

Now the mage spellsteals everything that I have. I dispel it back off of him, and it left him OOM. Eventually, we were all out of mana. Now mind you, the priest used his shadowfiend very early on, and the mage used his evocate after the spellsteal episode. Instead of trying to get out of combat and drink though, they proceeded to come after me with wands, maces sometimes, etc. They were almost playing with me. When they both run toward me, I fear them, run around the pillar, bandage, and drink when I'm out of combat (PS: get the arena water from the accessories quartermaster in Stormwind) I make sure they stay in combat by dotting them up. The priest is too dumb to even dispel it.

So they are both oom, the priest is still in shadow form, and now he has around 2500 HP because of my DOT and wanding. I think this is the moment that they both began to panic a little. I hit the priest with a smite and a mind blast, and got sheeped. Fortunately, I had a DOT on the priest when he bandaged. He was at 600 HP and I got a last SW:P on him. Amazingly, both the priest and mage are still mostly oom. They were burning fireblast and shadow word death, and everything they could, but my renews were keeping me at full mana (hello, have you ever heard of dispel nub?). So the shadow priest dies. I fear the mage, mana burn the last 1K mana he has, and begin wanding him. He starts using mana shield. Mana shield. WTF. Why would you use mana shield when you're oom and the only way you'll kill me is with mana?

Anyway, to make a long story short, I killed them. We got 15 points. I was proud. Gully watched the whole thing. Rubix watched the whole thing. I really wish I'd fraps-ed it. That fight goes down as perhaps my best wow experience of all time.

Thanks for dieing so soon Gully, and for keeping viper sting up. You ROCK!

3 comments:

Joshua Jericho said...

'Thanks for dieing so soon Gully'.... love it, absolutely love it.

Honestly though, that sounds like an awesome match. It goes to show that a very skilled player can take down 2 idiots even with all the odds against them. Way to go Tryst!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I bet that was an exhausting match. Good job Trys. See, melee = Trys le suck. Ranged = Trys le BOMB! :-) Keep up the good work.

Azi

Anonymous said...

From a mage perspective, dealing with priests is tough. You really need to be sharp on your counterspells and either lock out shadow or holy... but you can only lock out one at a time.

DoTs suck as a mage because you have no way of dealing with them other than iceblock (and then only if you're frost) or decurse if it is a curse (and oh so many dots are not).

Mana shield... Totally the wrong move. Even if you have full points into the talent that makes this not 100% suck, it still 80% sucks.

A mage without mana is the WORST class in the game... melee damage doesn't even compare favorably vs priests.

What could he have done different? Shut down the mana burn. Wand to get back mana and keep Trys in combat, stay away from his partner so that the fear can't hit them both at once, when the mana burn comes, counterspell it (it's important to have this hotkeyed), then after the CS, open up with fast shots (scorch, freeze/icelance, etc).

Mages really need a DoT. And a heal. And mana drain. And abilities that don't take fixed percentages of their mana pool like blink and spellsteal do. And a way to mitigate physical damage. ... Why do I PvP again? -_-

~Yim.