Thursday, July 5, 2007

Hunter and Priest 2v2, A good match? Or a death wish?

Gullkurack and I have been doing 2v2 PVP for a long time. We really only get 10 matches in a week, but it's been for a large number of weeks. I think we're starting to get to know each other very well and how to complement each other.

Last night we had a frustrating night. Our first game was against a rogue hunter. They burst me down and had me stun locked just about the entire first 15 seconds. Cheap Shot, Kidney Shot, Intimidation, Blind at 20%, one shot for the kill.

Then we went up against a warrior pally three times. Each time there was nothing we could really do to win. Viper sting doesn't work, because pallies can dispel them. Frost traps work against the paladin after they trinket out of one and bubble out of another. But by then I'm usually dead.

I do a pretty good job of kiting a warrior usually. I stay mounted as long as I can. Usually he ends up charging Gully and then coming after me for a zerker charge. If I could stay away from him indefinitely, then we'd be fine. The problem is, eventually the paladin will stun me and the warrior will catch up. Then I'm toast. The warrior gets hamstring on me. Even if I trinket out of it, he'll zerker charge me again and hamstring again. Then, if the warrior is doing a sick amount of damage (most are), I can't heal through it. I can't fear the warrior away because of a warrior's amazing anti-fear abilities. So I'm stuck with a mac truck pounding away at me, while my healing is 50% gimped.

Paladins have a much easier time itemizing for PVP. I have excellent PVP gear. I have 10K HP, 300 resilience, and a 9K mana pool. Paladins always have over 10K mana, and they have plate, so they are much better against a warrior/rogue/hunter survivability-wise.

So I'm totally frustrate with being a priest last night. Very depressed.

However, I read world of ming articles all the time. I read this one this morning: http://www.worldofming.com/?p=541

It's an article about a dwarf priest and dwarf hunter doing exceptionally well in arena. Now unfortunately, I'm not a dwarf. This makes me vulnerable to poisons and fears, which are a huge part of PVP. However, the warrior/pally combo can be beaten by a good hunter/priest combo, according to them. I have yet to see how personally. They are saying that we can do it if Blessing of Freedom is dispelled, and the warrior is Frost Trapped the whole time. I still don't see how this makes the whole Hamstring into Berzerker charge a non-issue. Maybe it isn't a non issue, but one that needs to be looked at in more detail. Nevertheless, it gives me hope. Gully, we need to get you a pet that poisons! That way your viper sting can't be removed.

No comments: