Thursday, July 12, 2007

Diversity

Most serious WoW players have heard that the top raiding guilds such as Nihilum are "purists" so to speak. They use each class for a defined role. Priests are all shadow priests. Druids are all resto druids, except for perhaps a single feral to get the Leader of the Pack. Shamans are all resto.

Why is this? Well, when you break it down to the numbers, certain classes outperform others. When you look at a moonkin druid, for the most part you're looking at a DPS caster. There are several DPS casters, such as mages, warlocks, and the like. Most people disregard moonkins from the raiding arena based on the inability to outperform a mage in DPS. Mages tend to have more DPS and last longer in a fight.

So what is the problem with this? I personally feel the problem is with diversity.

Murien, the one-time feral druid, is now resto. And he says that this puts an entirely different perspective on everything. He has learned how to truly play his class by changing specs. He now uses barkskin, bandages, potions, and the like since he has learned 2 different roles of his class.

The same thing went for myself when I switched to shadow for a small while. I started to learn some of the great things about shadow priests, and I see why they are generally preferred in a raid setting. The end raiding guilds have a single disc/holy priest for Prayer of Spirit, and the rest are shadow.

But I personally feel that even if I cannot outperform a holy paladin in the context of a single target heal, I feel that I understand my class well enough to be one of the best healers around, no matter what class. I've learned the threat mechanics, how to survive (some of you may chuckle here...), how to not run out of mana early, how to properly gear myself. As a result, I feel I'm a very strong healer and that I could compete with the efficiency of a well geared paladin.

I think one of the things that these people are missing out on when they don't have moonkins, elemental shamans, and protection paladins are some of the best people to have in certain situations. Nermal is a prime example of a "poorly specced" druid, and yet she is consistantly high up on the damage meters, and can still do an amazing job healing. It's because she's learned her limitations, and has learned how to be the best mookie she can be.

These purist guilds may do a great job at progressing the raid. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that if they come across a fight where a moonkin helps a lot, they will have one of their resto druids respec for that fight. Pity.

2 comments:

Jim Riegel said...

I definitely agree. Lately I've been reading strats for Curator that focus on how to handle a wider range of group makeups - what to do with more melee, etc, who's best to keep on the Curator the entire time, if anyone, where to stand with the Curator based on group makeup, etc, etc.

The idea of using group stacking to create a group perfectly able to execute one strategy isn't a horrid idea - but I like having a group with flexibility and the team able to adapt and adopt different strategies. Moonkin and Prot paladins are a big part of that type of flexibility.

That being said, I'm stunned by how powerful a shadow priest is as they start to gear up. Dany's up over 660 shadow damage now (and that'll be up to 800 or so within a week) and last night's Maulgar fight was a great example of the strength that gives. I was out of mana by the time Krosh dropped - I'd already had two mana pots (one at 70% one at 10% - people need to remember to drink earlier!) and had nothing left to offer for Wynri.

I gave Dany the nod to switch shadow and within 20 seconds I had 5k mana back. It was insane.

The short version of all this? Our power as a guild comes from people being open-minded about spec, knowing their class and being willing to swap to fit what needs doing in the fight.

Saro

Joshua Jericho said...

Hmmm... well, I agree with a large portion of what's been said by both Tryst and Saro here. I think its vital that guilds learn to adopt to the situations, manage around both the fights AND the players, allow people to play the way they want so they can enjoy the game, and appreciate, respect and honor their people equally to the guild tag.

Thats not to say that progress is a bad thing! For some people (myself admittedly) progress is part of what makes the game fun. For others (think Gully) it might be arena. For others (think Lurial) perhaps RP. For others leveling alts, or spending time with friends, or just escaping real life for a while. No ONE thing is better or more important then the other.

Some guilds might focus on progress and raiding, others on pvp, or RP or etc. etc etc. They may put all their emphasis on one thing. Nihilum may be full of purists who focus only on raiding - but that must be what their people want from the guild so it works for them.

One of the things I always ALWAYS enjoyed about both Silver Hammer and Terra Nova was their balance. A balance that is formed out of their decision to be a 'family guild' and value their people.

Those guilds -and honestly the close knit family that has derived from the history of the guilds- welcomes, nurtures, and allows their people to enjoy the game as they like.

I know neither Trystery nor Saro would ever need me to point out why I say this, but for those of you who maybe don't think about it or aren't familiar with their (being TN) guild I'll give examples of what I mean by this uplifting balance found in the SH and TN family.

I think Trystery himself highlighted a brilliant example of how TN allows their members to be themselves! I fully agree that Nermal is an amazing Moonkin druid and its so rare to find a moonkins who are able to be Moonkins and still progress through Kara and into 25 mans! And she's only an example! Trystery himself is an example if its true that priests have to be shadow now. And Saro, well he's a protection paladin! Allowing your members to play as they want and adapting to that is an amazing part of Terra Nova!

However, as much as I agree with the theory of both Tryst and Saro's posts I find it alarming the contradictions both posts hold to that theory itself.

To begin, I'd point at the paragraph about Murien. It might have been Murien's choice to change from feral to resto - but it was done to benefit black team. In the end, the only difference between that and forcing someone to do something is that (as I mentioned before) Terra Nova honors and respects their people too much to force them to do anything.

Murien is just an example of Saro's comment about being open minded to spec. Still, the point remains that a semi-permanent change was made, and (generally) being open-minded to spec and making changes like that is to a degree admitting that 'purists' guilds aren't fully evil either. It all comes down to what the people of the guild want from their guild and are willing to give.

If people just want to raid, and a guild accomplishes that they'll be more open to a respec or change schedules, or relearn things/bosses to help the guild. I think TN-SH benefits in that with a family, respecting your people will and does go a long way to helping each other out.

Another contradiction I see is the comment about group stacking and finding multiple strategies. Again, in theory, this is a wonderful idea but I see contradictions in the posts. Why would people need to be "willing to swap to fit what needs doing in the fight" if stacking is overrated and you can just adjust the strats anyway? Why would anyone need to rotate, or swap, or be traded, or sit out if essential stacks weren't needed or certain classes didn't benefit a raid more in a fight?

The DPS for the group I learned Curator on was a rogue, enh. shaman, fury warrior, hunter, shadow priest and warlock. Even 3 melee to 3 ranged. Yet, after 4 tries we got it. It was hard, but we learned it with what we had and we moved on and did it again the next week. In the end, either you can learn how to do a fight without stacking and adjusting your strat for what you have or you give up and stack for the 'normal' plan.

So why do some smaller groups/guilds manage to down Kara minus maybe Netherspite, while others stall out on Moroes, or Curator, or Shade? You can argue that it might be diversity vs purists. I'll argue that its the people on that team.

If the people genuinely want to suceed then they'll go to 5-mans or help others in the team do 5-mans so they can get gear upgrades and rep rewards. If they're having troubles they do the animal bosses to get silly but easily obtained epic upgrades. Members will take 30 minutes out of their week to read a strat or two online. They farm for mats or primals and send them to the groups bank/crafters to make pots and resist gear.

Notice though: it's a group effort. One person cant do it. But, in the end, a small amount of effort from most everyone can make all the difference. I've been in raiding guilds now for a year, and I know first hand that doing the small things because you want to and because you know that it leads to success and mostly because you value your friends/family/guild equally with the progression you want to achieve is what pushes you past Princess HuHu or Hydross.

Its true: those ideals are not for everyone. Some people don't want to progress enough. Some people don't want the game to feel like a job. Some people just want the success and either avoid or loathe the effort behind it. And in the end, that is fine too. Why? Because its a game.

In the end though, you have to understand that this game will not give you anything free. You pay to play in many ways. There is no perfect strat, no perfect way to stack a team, no way to force others to do the farming/working for you, and dragging one or two purple-geared people along with you won't magically kill Shade. (Not that TN or SH would ever disrespect any of their people enough to do those things... but I've seen them all tried before sadly).

When it comes down to it, if YOU want to progress then YOU have to make the effort. As one person or as a team. Just like in real life; no one else can do it for you.

... that said, I still agree with both Tryst and Saro's posts for this one overlying thought: Terra Nova is a wonderful place, with a real family sense and feel because when push comes to shove they honor and respect their people.

That is a strength few guilds can claim. And thats why I still hang around too. ^^ (even if Tryst kicks me in the shins sometimes.)

~ Akime / Jhur / Whitestone