Saturday, June 9, 2007

2v2, Priest and Hunter

I may have mentioned before that I have an arena team with Gullkurack the hunter. Boy does he know his stuff. He's very well geared as well.

Most people don't consider hunters the best partners for a priest. How wrong they are. Most of the people we face are 2 DPSers. The key during those is the first 15 seconds. If I can stay alive and keep Gully alive, we usually have it made.

Hunters are great in PVP. They can do decent melee damage and crazy ranged damage. They can crowd control with a trap. They can scattershot. They have a pet to annoy casters, healers in particular.

The worst groups for us are the melee groups. He is best when at range, and I struggle to stay alive through melee DPS. Rogues and warriors are my bane, and if they can stay next to a hunter, he can be ineffective as well.

We went 8-2 last night. One loss came when a mage/druid combo did some amazing work. I didn't see the instant cast pyro hit Gull, and by the time I saw that I needed to heal him, I was cycloned. I was cycloned for 9 seconds, which was enough time for the moonkin druid and mage to own him. From there, I just delayed the inevitable.

The other loss was against a warrior/paladin. I have to say, we shouldn't have lost this one. It still makes me angry. The warrior was terrible! He had mortal strike and piercing howl, and I think deathwish. But he did SO little damage to me. I had trouble healing through it and staying alive, but usually inside of 20 seconds, I'm dead. We outlasted them. My problem is, to stay away from the warriors I hug a pillar. This means Gully can't get LOS to hit anything. By the end, he was oom, and I was doomed.

I really need to learn that against a warrior/pally combo, I need to stay out in the middle. This way, the pally will hide behind a pillar most of the time. Gully can stand near that pillar, nuke the warrior, and ultimately scattershot - trap the paladin so we can get the warrior down. I tend to try to stay away from the warrior to avoid hamstring, but this warrior kept using piercing howl, which was tough. Oh well, live and learn.

PS: I am so jealous of pallies against melee. They aren't as good as priests for burst-down caster groups, but the fact that they can take a rogue/warrior beating on them, makes them almost invaluable.

That's all for now.

No comments: