Friday, June 8, 2007

Epic mount, Heroic Slave Pens, and more

Well, I was doing some quests in Shadowmoon last night, including the one to ultimately get attuned for Tempest Keep. Boy does it suck not having an epic mount when everyone else does. Sadly, I intended to get the epic mount for my warlock, the herbalist. Herb farming would be cake. But now I can't decide.

Although when Rubix and I run Scarlet Strat, it takes less than an hour, and last night we got 2 Righteous Orbs, 6 Large Brilliant Shards, the Flask of Undistilled Wisdom pattern, and 4 blue BOEs. If we run this 3-4 times a week, we could get a new person epic mounted every 5 weeks or so. Gotta love it.

Ran a heroic Slave Pens...fairly uneventful. We didn't have the NR buff because we got feared and mind controlled and barely survived the last pull. Also near the start of the final boss, our shaman died. Then I died when the boss was around 20%. Good thing our DPS finished him off while the tank used every cooldown he had. And praise Elune for engineers. (But we got no gems. :-()

Team Blue kicked some ass last night, downing Attumen, Moroes, and Romulo and Julianne after facing them for the first time. Congrats you guys! Definitely awesome. Hopefully now they get a chance to down Curator on Monday(?)

During our run, Akime the shaman was talking about how paladins shouldn't need a huge mana pool, while priests do. He said that he read somewhere, a paladin should only need a 6K mana pool while a priest should have a 9K mana pool. This is something that I don't quite understand. Perhaps if the paladin is offhealing maybe? Priests have much better regen in general than paladins do. They regen a completely different way, using mana per 5 and +crit to get free heals. They have no spirit (which is why a paladin should never get an innervate unless it's an absolute emergency.) So I wonder where he read it. More importantly, I wonder if it's true.

I know my mana pool is above 9K, so I'm not too worried, but it makes me wonder what kind of gear you'd need to regen mana that well. /curious.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The key with paladins is all about Spell Crit. The prototypical geared Paladin Healer has a crit rating of around 35%. When we had 100% return from illumination, that was a HUGE help. Now, it's less of a help but still very nice. Essentially, 35% of heal spells return 60% mana. Math isn't my strong suit, but essentially it means that every three heals you're going to spend the mana for 2.4 of them. I -think- that translates to roughly 20% extra heals discounting MP/5 and Spirit regen completely, which means that 6k mana pool is effectively 7200. Additionally our heals are cheaper over all than a priest and we aren't using mana for HoTs, Shields or Prayer of Mending.

Spiritual attunement is a little tough to guage now, simply because on some fights the paladin won't be taking any damage and on others he'll be getting HoTs tossed on him by druids and priests. Any damage healed by someone else counts as another 10% mana for the paladin, so in a fight with a fairly steady AoE issue, or even better, something like Garrote from Moroes, the paladin has a good bit more mana regen. For Moroes for example, that's going to be 5k damage every 15 seconds - 5000/10 = 500, 500/3 means a garrote is effectively 166.6 MP/5 for a paladin. For another fun trick, paladins can activate divine something or other. Maybe inspiration? The 41 point Holy talent. Cuts healing costs in half for 15 seconds. If they crit during that time, they're getting back 60% of the base spell cost. Unless they've changed the mechanic, that means they're actually -gaining- mana ever time they crit.

Essentially, this is why Holy Paladins will favor +spell crit over anything else, than MP/5 and lastly Int. As you noted, Spirit is patently worthless for us, but as long as we have even a little mana left, we can often times kick out some surprisingly sustained healing.

Saro

(and unfortunately, four of blue team will be in Boston this weekend. If we get back in time on Monday - and can still function after an 8 hour drive - we'll take a stab at it. Otherwise, I expect we'll do the clear on Wed. up to Opera and then hit Curator+ on Thurs.)