Thursday, June 7, 2007

Gruul's Lair Take Two

Well, we went into Gruul's Lair again, and still made progress. This time, our main tank only died once, and it wasn't his fault. The biggest issues that we had were with assorted things. Once we got all of the kinks ironed out, things went smoothly. We had a few accidental pulls, and a few mis-pulls, and those didn't help things but for the most part I learned a lot about the healing.

If you have a moonkin tanking the shaman, you don't need much healing on him/her.

The warlock tank, the warlock(s), and the hounds need a lot of healing and attention from healers. By the end I was healing them, and it was pretty chaotic.

It didn't help that we only had one rogue on the priest, and a rogue who had never done the fight before at that. We also only had one warlock, which made things interesting sometimes, especially since he couldn't find his pet bar. Once he had that straightened out, the fight went much better.

I felt badly for Saro our leader, who respecced just for Gruul, and was completely out of it. I could tell that he was tired, but wouldn't give up...just a testament to him.

The next time we are in there will be 2 weeks from now. I know there were several just-turned 60s there who we need to try to get geared up. It seemed that last time we were in there, we had better geared people...not sure why that is. We got the priest down last time, and this time we didn't really get close. The priest needs to die fast so we can have that extra healing and attention on the other targets...it isn't maintainable forever. Fortunately, we have the next several evenings without Karazhan or Gruul so we can focus on getting some people into different instances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was pretty exhausted. But, my new cpu did great things for my frame rate and it's worth noting we did kill the priest on our 2nd attempt.

That said, I think I'm going to do more research and find alternate positioning for folks. There's two factors to the fight that we need to master: One, the initial positioning/pull and two, hit points on Wynri. The first we can tweak with research - there must be a more efficient arrangement for dealing with the whirlwind, blastwave and knockback. The second, Wynri was a lot easier to keep standing this week, but he can still be killed by a whirlwind followed by an arcing smash or two back to back arcing smashes. His avoidance seemed -really- streaky, going for as much as 10-12 seconds without getting hit once, followed by getting pounded into the ground in under 2.5 seconds. I'm not sure if he's stacking avoidance in some of his slots, but I think it's definitely worth going for the sta/armor approach vs. an avoidance approach - from all the tank theory I've read, that's pretty much an unavoidable truth about all the 25 man content.

Saro

PS: Over all, it was another good learning night and while the priest wasn't dropping as much (due to gear I think) the fight was better controlled over all.